The social and economic effects of the COVID-19 pandemic have left a lot of people strapped for cash. According to the U.S. Labor Force Statistics, 16.9 million people were unemployed in July 2020. Among the 16.9 million, 9.6 million were unable to work because their employer closed or lost business during the pandemic.
Consequentially, the gig economy has blown up over the past few months as more and more people are actively looking for work. Gig economy apps have made it easier for job seekers to look for full-time and part-time jobs.
In this article, we’ll discuss the top four gig apps you can use to earn extra cash.
As cities start to open and more Americans get vaccinated, people see an increased demand for ridesharing services. Uber, the most popular ride-hailing platform, has transformed the way people commute. Passengers can get a ride within minutes, while drivers can earn extra cash using the resources they already have: a car, a clean driving record, and a smartphone.
How much do Uber drivers make?
Uber’s payment structure varies depending on tips, base fares, surges, and other incentives. It can be tricky to calculate how much money you’d make driving for Uber, but on average, most drivers earn around $9 per hour.
How to become an Uber driver
Start your Uber driver application by filling out an online application and meeting the following requirements:
- Legal driving age in your city
- Valid U.S. driver’s license
- Use an eligible four-door vehicle
- At least one year of driving experience in the U.S. or three years if you’re under 23 years old
- However, keep in mind that documentation and vehicle requirements vary by area. Check in with Uber to know more.
Once you’ve filled out the necessary information, the next step is to upload the required documents, such as:
- Proof of residency in your area
- A valid U.S. driver’s license
- Driver profile photo that’s different from your license photo
- Proof of car registration and auto insurance
Download the Uber app and enter your bank details to receive payments directly to your account. Your local Uber Greenlight location can help you with any concerns or questions throughout the application process.
Handy is a great side hustle for anyone who loves to clean, organize, and fix things around the house. The app connects customers with housekeepers, electricians, plumbers, or handymen.
Professionals on Handy can choose when they want to work and the projects they want to work on. They also streamline the payment process by depositing your earnings directly into your account once the project is done.
How much do Handy Pros make?
The pay depends on the job, but it usually ranges between $14 to $45 per hour. Housekeepers earn $14 to $22, while experienced plumbers earn up to $45.
How to become a Handy Pro
You’ll need the following to get started:
- A smartphone
- Tools, cleaning supplies, and other materials needed for the job
- Approved form of ID – make sure the photo is clear
- Eligible to work in the country
- Previous paid experience
Fill out Handy’s online application and wait for it to be approved, usually within one to three days.
TaskRabbit connects people in need of assistance with Taskers who can help them with anything – from home repairs and furniture assembly to lighting installation and TV mounting. You can sign up on TaskRabbit and connect with busy people in your area in need of servicing.
Most gigs on TaskRabbit are related to cleaning, delivery, furniture assembly, and moving. Use the app to check gigs in your area and get booked. Once you’re done, you can submit an invoice for payment.
How much can you earn on TaskRabbit?
You can set rates for different gigs.
How to become a TaskRabbit?
- Create an account on TaskRabbit and download the Tasker app.
- Select your location and list the services you want to offer.
- Confirm your identity and submit the necessary documents.
- Pay a $25 registration fee (applicable in certain cities).
- Set your work hours and opt in to accept same-day jobs.
- Start getting projects.
Here’s what you need to become a Tasker:
- At least 18 years old
- Being able to work in an active TaskRabbit city
- A smartphone
- A checking account
- U.S. Social Security number
- Registration fee (in applicable cities)
- Consent to an I.D. check
Postmates is one of the most popular food delivery apps today. But unlike others, Postmates also delivers groceries, phone chargers, tools, and more. They can pick up and deliver whatever you need within an hour or two. You don’t have to own a car to work as a Postmates rider because you can ride a bike or walk.
How much can you earn on Postmates?
As of May 2021, the average annual pay for a Postmates driver is around $38,000 per year or about $18.31 per hour.
How to become a Postmates driver?
- Check the requirements:
- At least 18 years old (at least 21 years old to deliver alcohol)
- Social security number
- U.S. citizen or a work permit/visa
- Valid driver’s license even if you don’t own a vehicle
- Check vehicle requirements:
- Apply online
- Pass the background check
Gig economy apps make it possible for you to earn extra cash anytime, anywhere. But before you sign up, be sure to do your research: ask around and read reviews to learn which apps work best for you.